Tuesday, January 30, 2018

1310 CNC Engraver - Adding Limit Switches

Per the vendor the board doesn't support limit switches - lol - even if the board has plugs for them.



Here is the 13 x 10 CNC Kit - it works! Let's add Limit Switches.



So I wanted to design a holder that didn't need screws to secure the switch. The design uses a post and a pin to hold the switch in the holder. Here you can see the switch with a proud pin.



Pin was been inserted.



X axis switch.



Y axis switch.



Z axis switch - taping holder - will replace existing hex standoff.



The rear hex standoff - not sure if I can get it installed without taking it completely apart.



Had to take the top screws out.


Install and solder to two switches.


Back together - hot mess of glue to hold the wires in place


Using the grbl guide for optocouplers found here: https://github.com/gnea/grbl/wiki/Wiring-Limit-Switches

Testing the limit switch control board - using long wires didn't work once the spindle fires up it trips. I tried using an older board that was laying around from another project that had these optocouplers on them - want a waste of time two are bad so I just ganged new ones on top of the non-working ones.


First bracket - needed to cut the back for the wire clearance. I designed it to replace the existing 4mm spacers behind the main control board - got the hole positions and distances right on the first go.


 

My input wires are too short - so I jumper them. I thought for sure I would continue to get spurious but it worked! So it's only the negative wire that needs to be short.



Second print - make it thicker and moved the slots that hold the board for more back clearance for the wire. Once I figured out that only the negative wire was receiving interference I moved the input wires back to the front.



10T85 Switch: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MFRMFS6
Thingiverse Files: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2775407



No comments:

Post a Comment